Pages

Jul 23, 2018

Lola Peacock and Two Quilts


Lola for Suze at Sixty

Few quilts have been as fun as making this Purple Lola for cousin Susan.  
I took her to  Intown Quilters  to choose a backing fabric.  She chose these large floral circles printed on black.  I stared at it for weeks, dreaming a design for the front, based on the back print.  The good thing about having her pick the backing was knowing what palette and vibe she wanted AND the deadline was "whenever" since she already knew about it. Perfect.

Along the way, I'd started a Family Tree Canopy quilt leading up to Callan and Johnny's Oct 8, 2016 wedding.  I mailed precut blocks to friends and family, asking that they bring them to the wedding. My starting the collection at the wedding was another Loose Deadline.  The wedding was wonderful and magical at Stan Mullins' Art Studio in Athens, GA.   There was so much to see during the festivities, Cal and Johnny never saw my collection basket.  I decided to slow down again and extended the block deadline.

Susan sent this AMAZING appliqué and embroidery peacock named Lola.

Lola by Susan

It took less than a week to see the floral circles as Feathers on a larger Lola.
I traced her bird and then enlarged to roughly 24" x 36".  
When Suze and I were young, Grandma Baker made each of us an appliquéd Cat Quilt in our favorite color.  She chose Purple and I chose Green.


 I made the purple background and then appliquéd Lola in a perfect spot.  Once inspired, I had this ready for her Surprise Birthday party,  November,  2017. 
Susan had the rare honor of designing her own surprise quilt!

Six months later, Callan and Johnny received their wedding quilt on her birthday, May 26, 2018.  There is so much love in these blocks and stitches.  I'm so grateful!

Lola is near Callan's left hand, three blocks over, near Matt's diamond shirt pattern.
Lola with Stevie and Cleo below.



No comments:

Post a Comment