Pages

Oct 3, 2018

John Ross and stitching a story



Rossville, GA hometown hero John Ross (1790-1866) was leader of the Cherokee Nation 1828-1838 and fought against the Indian Removal from this area. The Andrew Jackson government-forced march of these native people from here to Oklahoma is known as The Trail of Tears. 

This home also served as a hospital during the Civil War, eventually for both Confederate and Union forces.  I learned much later that Dr. Hoover, with his office to the right of this photo, was the leader of the area KKK and John Birch Society.  Many stories remain untold.

In 1964, "The John Ross Story," written by Helen Cooper, was staged on this front lawn.  At eight years old, with elaborate lighting and a perfect prairie dress created by my mom,  I played his daughter Jane Ross.  I can feel the excitement again just by being here, dreaming through the decades.


There wasn't a fence around the Duck Pond when I lived here.


In 2013, I made my first family Memory Keeper Quilt. It's pictured here.  At that time I started stitching this John Ross House, mostly from memory.  I picked it up this summer as I collected my own miscellaneous memories in fiber.



This finished quilt includes two of Grandma Baker's doilies along with Elvis, my favorite turtle and fabric creations by daughters Callan and Mariel.  Grandma Eva Avans Baker (1909-1986) was 1/4 Cherokee and I've imagined our ancestors hiding in the hills during the removal years. Thankfully they remained.

The top border is Huckleberry batik from Whitefish, MT, purchased in July

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely keepsake and treasure. Beautiful workmanship.

    ReplyDelete